Chanoine Frères Champagne
The Chanoine family is one of the oldest families in Epernay. Under King Louis XV, Jacques-Louis and Jean-Baptiste Chanoine founded a champagne trading house in 1730 under the name Chanoine Frères. (Frères translated means brothers). In the same year, the Chanoine brothers obtained permission to build the first champagne cellar in the now famous champagne town of Epernay (today Chanoine has its headquarters in Reims, the capital of Champagne). In the 19th century, the successful champagne house used to supply what was then the most important foreign champagne market: Russia, or more precisely the Russian tsarist house.
In homage to tsarist Russia, the most important foreign champagne market of the 19th century, Chanoine Frères created the Cuvée Tsarine.
The two Chanoine brothers, true forerunners of modern champagne, crossed the whole of Europe and quickly developed a good and solid clientele thanks to their energy and the recognised quality of their wines.
In the 20th century, the brand Chanoine Frères Champagne first went to Canard-Duchêne. From there it was resold to Bruno Paillard and Philippe Baijot. Today Chanoine Frères Champagne belongs to the Boizel Chanoine Champagne Group, whose owners are Baijot, Paillard and Boizel.